Sunday, July 3, 2011

Civil Unrest and Rats

On my way to work the other day, I saw the biggest rat I've spotted yet in New York outside the Affina Hotel on 7th Avenue. Happily, it was inflatable.

An R.O.U.S. indeed
Two men wearing work clothes were handing out fliers, which pretty much no one was collecting. This surprised me. I was pretty interested in this rat. I took a flier from a man, who thanked me, and continued on my way as I read. Apparently there has been some reconstruction in this particular Affina hotel and the carpenters' union (or something) feels they haven't been getting the benefits they deserve, so they staged this protest. I wonder how much money Affina is supposed to give them, and how that amount compares to the cost of renting, transporting, and filling the rat. Although it has been the most poorly attended protest I've seen in the city, it is certainly the most elaborate.

No comments:

Post a Comment