Monday, July 11, 2011

Another Celebrity Encounter

Supermodels? Lurch from The Addams Family? Spike Lee? Yeah, I've hung out with all those guys. (Well, the last one I lived vicariously through Dave, but still.) But last night I topped them all.

A college friend of mine has been staying with me for a few days, and last night we met up with his friend Mike who is the lead guitarist in a band. Which band you ask? Get ready for this: He plays in the band that does the FreeCreditReport.com commercials, Victorious Secrets. Seriously. I actually hung out with this guy. He showed us pictures of his two-year-old daughter, talked about how cool his wife is, and dazzled us with tales of his glamorous life in Detroit.

Mike is second from the left, in the yellow t-shirt.
See two of his commercials here and here. In the golf commercial he's the guy standing in the boat in the middle of the water hazard, and in the tour bus commercial he's the guitarist in the blue button-down shirt.

Some people may be starstruck by this kind of encounter, but I've lived in New York long enough that I'm not fazed.

In all seriousness, he's a childhood friend of Phil's and an outstandingly nice guy who just happened to be passing through New York. Phil says he's the best guitar player on the planet, but I didn't get to hear him play so I can't affirm this. He told us about this strange gig his band has landed and about shooting commercials and staying in 5-star hotels, and then heading back home for a few months at a time to work four days a week and hang out with his family. It always kills me when people find ways to be really successful doing things that I'd never have considered. In my mind, you star in a blockbuster, become president, or win the Nobel Peace Prize and you've pretty much made it. Being featured in the FreeCreditReport.com commercials, however, would never have occurred to me. You wouldn't recognize Mike on the street and he's not fabulously wealthy, but he owns both a condo and a house, gets to be home with his wife and daughter a lot, and makes a very comfortable living playing music. It may not be the American dream, but it makes me wish I'd taken guitar lessons.

No comments:

Post a Comment