Sunday, April 25, 2010

Close call

I was over a mile into my run the other day when I felt something in my shoe. I wasn't planning on being out for terribly long, but even just a few miles with a bit of grit rubbing against your foot can drive you crazy, so I pulled over, yanked my sock around a bit, then took off again. Within two steps it was clear that I hadn't fixed the problem, and within ten steps I was annoyed again. So I hopped on one foot while untying my shoe and brushed off the bottom of my sock with my fingers. Off I went again, and discovered, to my dismay, that something was still not right. At this point my heartrate was slowing down and I was supremely irritated, so I sat down on the curb, yanked off my shoe, and took my sock off completely. I shook it out thoroughly and put it back on. As I reached for my shoe, I caught a glimpse of the bottom of it and saw that this was stuck in the sole:

(The thumbtack is there for scale.)

YIKES. I could see only the round base of this thing (I still have no idea what it is), but when I tugged on it I couldn't believe how long it was as the spiky part emerged. It went all the way through my shoe and was poking at the arch of my foot, and had it been slightly longer or just a bit less bent, I'd have found myself with a nasty puncture wound. As it was, the point didn't even break the skin.

Just another fun adventure in the big, bad city.

No comments:

Post a Comment