Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Way beyond hunting and gathering


The kitchen right down the hall from my room has yet to be fixed, although I used the stove to stir fry some vegetables the other day, despite the sign warning me not to use it. Shhh, don't tell. (Turns out the air conditioning vent's malfunction doesn't actually affect the operation of the stove. Hypothesis: correct.) Walking those twenty feet down the hall can be a real drag though, and sometimes involves putting on shoes, pants, or even both, so I do as much as I can in my room.
This is my kitchen (use your imagination). I was pleasantly surprised upon moving in to see that the fridge was fairly large – for a dorm – and has a really good sized freezer. The microwave's "popcorn" setting is just about perfect. In the cabinet above, my cooking utensils (pretty much plates and silverware) are just high enough that I have to drag a chair over to get at them without knocking anything over.


Anthony was good enough to pick up a great electric kettle for me with which I support my tea habit. It's also nice for making the freeze-dried miso soup I found in Chinatown a few weeks ago. My other hardware consists of a great crock pot which I have discovered actually works for grains like rice, quinoa, and couscous.* It's not perfect, and things are more prone to get mushy than if they were prepared on a burner, but I've discovered that liberal fluffing with a fork about 15 minutes before I want to actually start eating does wonders. Also useful: the crock pot takes a long time to heat things up initially, but if I use near-boiling water from the kettle I can speed things along considerably. I made the couscous in less than half an hour, and brown rice took about an hour and a half last week.
*Couscous is actually closer to pasta than anything else. It's definitely not a grain.

No comments:

Post a Comment