Monday, September 7, 2009

Labor Day weekend in Boston

HIGHLIGHTS

Friday afternoon - Courtney met me in Harvard Square. We hadn't seen each other since my post-Japan road trip in November of 2007, and therefore we talked for about ten hours straight (changing location from time to time).

Saturday morning - We visited the Mapparium in the Christian Science Center. Globarium would sound no less goofy but would be much more accurate, as it's a three-story high stained glass globe reflecting the political boundaries of the world in the 1930's; Africa is markedly different, everything else looks more or less the same. The shape and material made for interesting acoustic effects, which we alternately enjoyed (when we were standing on opposite ends of the bridge whispering to each other) and were annoyed by (when people during the presentation talked to each other in whispers made deafening). We resisted the Christian Scientist indoctrination, and left unscathed to meet up with Mike, a friend from Vanderbilt.

Saturday night - As members of an otherwise all-lesbian birthday party, we learned a thing or two about putting away vast quantities of alcohol, rugby, and love triangles.

Sunday afternoon - Jenny, a friend from NYLF two summers ago, is working on a Masters in public health at Harvard. Courtney and I met her for lunch and got to hear all about her improbable love interest, a Sri Lankan New Zealander she met in Geneva. After lunch, we headed over to the Arboretum to sit with Mike and a few of his friends on a blanket with bread and cheese, a chess board, a hookah, and Miles Davis. It was a beautiful afternoon, and we enjoyed exploring (although, disappointingly, the bonsai collection was locked for the evening by the time we got there).

Sunday night - In my friend Christian's apartment, I enjoyed the most improbably coincidence I've ever experienced. I met Christian while we were both working in Japan. His friend Doug, a guy he met in undergrad at BU, came over and when the conversation strayed to names and I told him my last name, he leapt out of his seat with an outburst of profanities. My brother works at a company with two employees. Improbably, Doug is the second employee. After Doug contained himself (which took some time), we all went out to meet up with Anthony and Jane for drinks.

Monday morning - Despite his obvious pain and suffering from the previous night's indulgences, Anthony joined Jane in giving me a tour of their posh neighborhood. We walked through the Public Gardens and had a tasty, somewhat eventful lunch. I learned about Anthony's deep affection for the duckling statues.

Monday night - I met up with Dave and Eddie, a New York native and good friend from Japan, at a restaurant in Korea Town for dinner. Having just gotten off the bus, I was still hauling my suitcase around, but I figure it's good exercise. It's good to be back in my room and settled, although in eight hours I'll be starting a four-hour orientation for my fellowship.

This street, the last cobblestone road in Beacon Hill, is the most frequently photographed street in the world, or in the US, or something. I had to jump on the bandwagon.

No comments:

Post a Comment