Wednesday, January 16, 2013

New Project

I came across and idea a few months ago that I really liked: A woman decided she wasn't taking enough pictures and resolved to take a photograph each day. She's of the kids/minivan/tuna casserole set, and I imagine this decision was inspired, at least in part, by a fear that life was getting away from her. I have no such qualms (well, not too much anyway), but I thought it was an interesting proposal and decided to try it for myself. I'm publishing my efforts on a second blog, which you can find at bguadagni365.blogspot.com. You can always find the link in the right margin of this blog as well. It's under Blogs I Follow, towards the bottom.

The rules: I must take one photograph a day, and the image should be something representative of my life on that day. This means no going out of my way to capture really spectacular images (which is a tall order with an iPhone camera anyway); I'm going for more typical images. While I must take one photo per day, I decided it's not practical to try to post each day after I've found myself having to make up for four days in a row more than once already (and it's only January 15th). So I've made peace with that. I'm also trying to restrict my words, allowing no more than a sentence or two as a caption. And I guess that pretty much sums up the rules.

I'm not sure that anyone will find the results interesting, but I've enjoyed the way this project has caused me to look around me with more discerning eyes. Some days I've had difficulty deciding which image to use after taking several photographs throughout the day, and other days I find myself struggling to think of a single thing to photograph. I imagine this will get harder as times goes on. (Luckily, I can almost always count on the cats to do something ridiculous for a bail-out photo.)  One problem I've discovered is that I'm shy about asking people if I can take their picture. I'd really like to include pictures of people I see every day, but I don't know that asking for permission to post shots of them on the Internet, even if they're not identified, is appropriate. This is an issue I'll have to wrestle with.

Feel free to visit my new page whenever you like, and please share your thoughts!

No comments:

Post a Comment