Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Ice Skating (at Last)

December 30th dawned sunny and cold, and after breakfast Ed and I decided to tackle something that's been on my to-do list ever since I moved to New York more than three years ago. We headed to Central Park and joined hundreds of people on the Trump Rink for some ice skating. The last time I remember skating was twelve years ago in Providence, Rhode Island with my friend Virginia. Ed said it had been similarly long for him. We had plenty of time to reminisce about this while we waited in a long line to buy tickets. I was relieved when we finally reached the front, forked over $17 each, and got to go into the rental area. I was wearing my new Christmas wool socks and mittens and was still chilly.

Crowds compete for spaces on the benches
It was warmer inside, but pretty chaotic. Ed and I jostled through crowds to the rental counter, where another $7 got us each a pair of plastic skates, then jostled back through to find a spot ton the benches. There were no half sizes, so I we both had to settle for pairs that were quite large, and they dug uncomfortably into my ankles as I stood up. We put our shoes and my purse into a locker (another $7, though part of that was refundable) and elbowed our way toward the exit. I was feeling a bit crabby about the crowds, but that lasted only until I stepped onto the ice.

Not my photo. It was far more crowded when we were there.
The rink was thick with people skating in a clockwise rotation. Most wore clunky skates like ours, though some skaters cut through the crowd in graceful arcs on their own skates. When we arrived, the ice was being cleaned and resurfaced, and though we were on it only about 15 minutes later, it was already scarred everywhere by deep grooves. I was amazed by how quickly I remembered how to skate. It had always come rather naturally to me, and though I am no prodigy, I can control my turns and work up pretty good speed with little effort. Ed and I speculated later that skiing helps. Whatever it is, I'm glad it worked out for me, because many of the people on the ice were having a tough time. Couples gingerly scooted forward with mincing, jerky steps, clinging to each other for dear life. Those who'd lost their balance were marked on legs, seats, and backs with a coating of ice powder. People held desperately to the barrier that went around the edge of the rink, and several times I had to turn abruptly to avoid a flailing skater rocketing precariously toward the railing, cutting off everyone in his/her path. It felt good to glide around the rink, though, and despite a few small wobbles I felt confident and had a wonderful time. I wanted to go faster than the throng of people would allow me, and every now and then I'd come upon a gap and accelerate into it, relishing the speed. People were mostly dressed in street clothes and bulky coats, though I did see a pair of ladies in one-piece snow suits, and one little girl wore tights and had a pink leotard skirt peeking out from under her winter coat. Her thin little ankles poked out of white figure skater's skates, though she was no expert skater (yet).

I'd left my mittens in my purse by mistake and forgotten to bring a hat, so I was pretty cold as we circled. Every now and then I'd pull my furry hood up over my head, but I always had to pull it down again because I couldn't see Ed around the ring of fluff. My legs grew tired, and the sore spots on my feet and ankles began to throb. I'm not sure how long we stayed on the ice, but I think it was almost an hour before, despite the discomfort, I was ready to call it a day. Even though I couldn't wait to take off the skates, I was reluctant to stop skating. Our timing was good, however: the Zamboni machine was back out on the ice as we walked towards the edge of the park, so we'd have had to stop anyway.


I'd love to try this again, perhaps on a larger rink when it is less crowded. After all, it's hardly surprising that we had to battle crowds on one of the most popular rinks in the city on Sunday of a holiday weekend. Next time, I'll go on a random Tuesday. And I'll definitely layer my socks.

No comments:

Post a Comment