Monday, January 9, 2012

Low-Tech Fix

At a recent visit to the optometrist, I learned that my vision has, once again, worsened. I have no trouble up close, but trying to make out far-away signs or facial features of actors onstage, two necessities in New York, was getting to be tricky. My doctor upped my prescription and recommended that I try to look away from my computer monitor frequently to let my eyes refocus on things that are farther away. I confirmed the benefits of this tip while reading a recent article about glaucoma (January is Glaucoma Awareness Month!). Like many resolutions, however, this one is easier made than kept, as my vision is about the last thing on my mind when I'm in the middle of typing or reading something. The reminder I've taped to the corner of my screen, however, is proving to be extremely effective at reminding me to glance around the room or down the hallway from time to time. Take that, technology! Scissors and markers to the rescue!



No comments:

Post a Comment