Monday, December 13, 2010

Crossed Fingers, Lasts, and Firsts

This afternoon, I submitted my application to ISS, the placement company who will help me find an overseas teaching post if they accept me.


Then tonight I attended the last instructional class period I'll have as a student at Teachers College. Near the end of the period, I started to feel sort of fluttery, and looked around to share the sentiment with someone. Every student in the room had at least one semester to go, and they looked detached and distracted.

And later, leaving school to head home, I was sprinkled with the first snowflakes of the year, which settled on my black coat so that I could see them clearly in all their crystal, feathery perfection before they disappeared one by one.

It's easy to fixate on something that is just beginning, something I'm leaving behind, or something I'm hoping might lie ahead. Getting all three within a few hours of each other makes one realize that, actually, they're always happening at the same time; something is always coming to an end just as something else is beginning and something even further down the road might happen. Life is, indeed, good.

No comments:

Post a Comment