Monday, August 23, 2010

It's an ill wind...

...that blows my umbrella budget no good.

At my going-away party last summer, the SPS staff, headed by Kathy B., gave me a goodie bag full of useful (hand sanitizer and Starbucks gift cards) and not-so-useful (a mini-bullhorn which makes the speaker's voice sound like a robot, the better to attract the attention of cabbies) things to use in the city. My favorite item in the bag was a checkered umbrella which kept me at least marginally dry for almost exactly a year. I was sorry to realize after returning home from Eddie's show last week that I had left it under my chair.

I bought a soulless black one to replace it last week and owned it for exactly four days before taking it out today to shield me from the driving rain that's been falling on us for two days now. Alas, the driving rain has been accompanied by wind, sometimes consistently strong and sometimes occurring in unexpected, powerful bursts. It was just such a burst that caused the damage you see below to my "new" umbrella:


To my horror, the shaft bent and then the canopy above flipped inside out. I was able to right it pretty easily, but the damage to the shaft was done, and with each wiggle it eroded more and more until the handle fell off completely. Sigh. Luckily I was able to use the top part for a few more hours until I had a free moment to purchase a replacement (my second one this week). It is blue, and I can only hope more resilient.

No comments:

Post a Comment