Friday, July 30, 2010

At the old ball game

Dave called me one evening this week to ask what my plans were. Our friend Jeanna (pronounced "Gina" for some reason) who had moved to Virginia was in town, and our plans had been to meet her for dinner, so I reminded him of this. Our plans, apparently, had changed. "Want to go to a Mets game? Someone just gave me free tickets," he said. When I said I did, he told me to come to the bar right away and we'd head to the stadium together. Nothing like impulsivity. I threw on something in a shade of approximate Mets blue and headed out the door.

At the bar, Jeanna was waiting too. Dave handed me the tickets for safe keeping while he tied up a few loose ends, and I turned my attention to the tickets to see if I could figure out where we'd be sitting. It looked like we were only 16 rows back, so I was sure I was reading the ticket wrong until I saw "VIP" written under "Section" and "$185" written under "Price." Whoa.

Turns out, the tickets had been a gift to Dave's boss by a promo guy from a beer company. John couldn't use them, though, so he passed them on. I don't usually get excited about baseball, but the promise of seeing the game from the VIP section had me nearly giddy. citiField is right next to the starting line for the Queens Half, so I knew exactly where we were going.

Heading in to the stadium for the game

The stadium was beautiful. Our seats were fantastic and came with the privilege of buying overpriced beer within the comfort of a private club instead of from a vendor in the stands. The game itself was actually quite exciting, with some great fielding by the Mets (who won by 6 runs) and two home runs.

This photo makes the field look farther away than it felt. We had great seats!

A terrible picture of the clubhouse. The window looks right on to the field.

Good old New York. Stuff like this certainly hasn't happened to me in any other city.

No comments:

Post a Comment