Sunday, June 27, 2010

New Wheels

I've been wanting a bike or a while, but without a place to store it, the idea didn't seem practical. Some buildings have basement storage space for bikes, but mine doesn't, and bikes left outside overnight tend never to be seen again. The New York Times ran a travel article recently about bike rentals, which can be expensive, and the journalist suggested purchasing a folding bike as an alternative. They can be folded and checked on planes as baggage, and they're a good deal if you travel to lots of places where you'll be biking.

That wasn't my situation, but I figured that a lightweight, compact bike sounded pretty good. The article recommended Citizen Bikes, and after checking out their website (www.citizenbike.com), I ordered one. I chose the Miami model, which was reasonably priced and has slightly larger wheels than some of the other models.

Riverside Park, which I explored on my bike before adding to my list of runs.

I've been mostly very happy with it. It weighs 32 pounds, which gets a little heavy near the top of the fourth flight of stairs as I carry it to my apartment after a ride, but it's definitely do-able. When folding it, I unlatch the handlebars and fold them down next to the front wheel, push the seat all the way down to the frame, and fold the frame in half. This allows it to fit neatly under my bed. It came with a rack over the back wheel on which I can bungee a bag or a purse. It has rims so that I don't get splashed by wet tires on rainy days, and there's even a bell, which is useful on crowded paths.

Fully assembled in front of my building.

I love walking, but I can go much faster and farther on the bike, and it has allowed me to check out new running routes ahead of time or meet up with friends downtown without having to take the train. (Each trip I take on the bike, not the Subway, saves me $4.50!) I plan to use it to ride to 3 of my 4 tutoring appointments as soon as I start that. The nice thing about living on the West Side is that I can ride through along the Hudson River north or south as far as I need to. There are no cars, and I can get anywhere in Manhattan. It takes a little longer, but it's worth it if I don't have to deal with the traffic, and it's a pretty, breezy path. I go up or down as far as necessary, then cut inward. I have discovered that Google Maps allows me to find directions to a place for biking, and it will give me a route along streets that are bike-friendly.

Here it is with just the frame folded. The handlebars and seat are still up.

The only thing I'm not crazy about are the small wheels. Obviously they need to be small because they're the one part of the bike that doesn't fold, and big wheels would make the folded product unwieldy. However, they compromise my speed because each revolution doesn't cover as much distance, and they're not great on bumpy surfaces. This is not a bike for unpaved roads. Luckily, in New York, this is not an issue.

Fully folded, it fits right under my bed.

I bought a New York Kryptonite lock. The company guarantees that it will replace my bike if is stolen within the first year that I own it, and that's given me a lot of peace of mind.

I probably look pretty goofy riding it, with its little wheels, but I see more and more of them around the city, so I'm in good company.

No comments:

Post a Comment