Friday, June 25, 2010

54 W. 106th St.

At long last, here are pictures of my new apartment! I'll post some of the street and the building later, but here are a few of the inside. It's small, but pretty comfortable and I'm quite happy here. I'm about 14 blocks from Teachers College (it's a nice walk, though, and I have a bike if I get sick of walking), 3 blocks from the nearest Subway stop, 1 1/2 blocks from Central Park, and 4 blocks from Morningside Park. Whole Foods is 6 blocks in one direction and another great grocery store is 6 blocks in the other direction, so I have lots of options regarding food. And if I don't feel like cooking, there's a great Japanese place literally across the street, with tons more restaurants on surrounding streets. There are lots of trees on my street, and I feel lucky to be in such a nice spot.

French doors connect my bedroom to the living room. I draw curtains at night and leave everything open during the day to let light through.


My bed is "partially lofted, meaning that it's just high enough to be tough to get onto. It's ok, though, because the two dressers that prop it up (you can see only one here) provide plenty of storage without taking up extra floor space. I use either the ottoman from my reading chair or my desk chair as a step stool at night. Note the window next to my reading chair. I'm going to post more pictures of my awesome fire escape in an upcoming blog.

Dave and I do not have air conditioning, which is ok on most days (although there were a few this week that were a bit rough). In winter we won't pay for heat because the building is heated by radiators. I've never had one, but I hear they're a pain because you can't do much to control them. I've seen radiators going at full blast below open windows as residents try desperately to use the icy air outside to balance out the temperature. Should be an adventure...


My kitchen is tiny and not really conducive to team cooking, but I'm delighted to have one after nine months in the dorm! I'd have trouble doing anything too involved in here, but so far it suits my needs nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment