Thursday, November 19, 2009

The Pitter-patter of Scaly Little Feet

I've made something of a habit of looking for rats on the subway tracks. They're not exactly swarming all over the place; I see one only once every few trips. I'm sort of grimly fascinated by them, and don't recoil, as many do, when I see one scurrying between the rails, stopping to sniff at pieces of refuse in search of food. I track their progress until they're swallowed up by darkness again. They're sort of endearing in a way.

This was before the other day, when I had gotten off of the train was headed toward the turnstile. A medium-sized brown rat came tearing around a corner, dodging people (who were just as enthusiastically dodging him) as he went. As I said, I like rats, but I have learned that I like them from a distance. It seems that I'm not ready to push my relationship with them to the next level.

No comments:

Post a Comment