Monday, December 3, 2012

Still Recovering from Sandy

This morning I went to they gym. That may not seem like a blog-worthy event, but this is the first time I've visited my gym since the storm almost a month ago. The aptly named Chelsea Piers is right on the water-albeit elevated above a parking area-and while I don't know the extent of the damage to its facilities, I do know that the flooding caused major electrical problems. It's hard for me to believe it took this long to repair everything, but evidently that's the case. This morning was like any morning at the gym before the storm. The elevators were not working, but everything else seemed completely normal. Manhattan, at least the parts of it I inhabit, betrays very little evidence of Sandy, though other parts of the city were not so fortunate. My gym's closure was one of the few reminders that all is not quite back to normal. In general, though, Manhattan has had a pretty short memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment