Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Marathon News

There are 32 days left until the marathon, which is both exhilarating and a bit scary. Today, I found out the following information:

1) My bib number will be lucky 39,208. There will be 46,999 other bibs bouncing on all sides of me.

2) My wave will start the race at 10:30. This means I'll barely have gotten warmed up by the time some of the pros are starting to cross the finish line. It also means that, barring disaster, I should be finished before 2:30. If it were up to me, I'd get the ball rolling a little earlier, but at least a late start means I won't have to worry about being too cold. I'm part of the third wave, and there will be one more wave after mine starting at 10:55.

3) Race highlights will be broadcast on ABC from 4:00 to 6:00 P.M. nationwide. While the only way I'll be part of any highlight reel is if I get maimed by a falling tree branch in the park or end up running right next to Christie Turlington for a while (she's one of the celebrities running this year), it may be interesting for people who have never seen the marathon before to tune in. Even a few minutes should give you a sense of the scope of this eveng. It's pretty phenomenal.

2 comments:

  1. Beth, I can't believe how quickly the marathon is approaching. I will hopefully be able to track your splits online using your bib number. It was smart of you to listen to your body a few weeks back. I think every runner has a week like that when training for a big race (especially the longer races). Best of luck with the rest of your training. I hope to be running this marathon with you someday soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You mean "way ahead of you" when you say "with you," right? :) Hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete