Friday, June 22, 2012

New Features - Change You Can Believe In

Happy Friday, everyone!


I want to mention two changes I'll be making to the blog. First, though, a play-by-play of how these decisions came about:


My sister-in-law has fabulous taste in literature. I emailed her with some book suggestions lately and she wrote back to say that I should review books on the blog. I thought this was a great idea; this would give me great material to make up for those weeks that are slightly less exciting than others, plus be a convenient way to make book recommendations to friends and family. Now that I walk to work, I find I am reading less and really miss it, so this will be a great motivator for me to read more in order to review more books, too. Done. So:


Change #1: I will be reviewing books on my blog! Hooray!


I figured it would be a good idea to make those book reviews easy to find so that readers who had already been fully updated on the thrilling events in my life could visit the blog with the express purpose of finding something to read next. (There is a search function already, but I wanted something geared more toward browsing than searching.) So I decided I'd better label my book posts. And then I decided I should label my posts that are NYC-centric, too. And then some posts turned out to be about running. So I went into a bit of a labeling frenzy, and the result is visible in the toolbar in the right column of the blog. 


Change #2: Most of my blogs are labeled! Wahoo!


For those unfamiliar with labels, all you have to do is click on one to find a list of posts on that topic. Current labels are:


  • New York - Cool stuff I do in the city
  • NYC Arts - Cool performances/artistic exhibits I see in the city
  • Travel - Cool stuff I do outside the city
  • Food - Restaurants I visit and food/drinks I attempt
  • Authors - Author talks I attend
  • Legit Lit - Books I think you should read 
    • Note: As of today, no Legit Lit label exists because I have not reviewed a book yet. It's on the way!
The larger the font of the label, the more posts there are on that topic. I'm not even close to being finished labeling, but I've noticed that there are far more posts about New York than anything else. While this makes sense, I'm going to make more of an effort to diversify. For example, I go to lots of fantastic restaurants that I think would be fun to write (me) and read (you) about. 


I hope these changes help make the format of my blog more navigable and the content even better! I welcome comments and suggestions. Thanks for reading!

1 comment: