Thursday, March 15, 2012

Breakfast of Champions

I realize that breakfast on the go is not a uniquely New York thing, but it has never been as important to me before as it is now that I live here. I frequently find myself dashing to work at the last minute, from home or from the gym, with little time to sit down to a bowl of homemade, steaming oatmeal first. And I'm a big believer in breakfast. Of course, I can buy oatmeal (or anything else I might want) to go from any number of restaurants on the way to work, but that can get expensive after a while, and I'd much rather put my breakfast money towards a fabulous new pair of boots. Plus, I'm part of an ever-dwindling portion of this country that knows her way around a kitchen, so I feel a bit guilty copping out.

All of this adds up to reason I was elated to come across the following idea (sort of) in a blog a stumbled across:


What are they? The blog called them "egg boats." The originator of this idea cut a V shape down the length of a thick baguette, poured in an egg mixture, baked it, then sliced it. I thought this was a great idea, but I tweaked it slightly so that mine would be a bit more portable. (Hard to tell from the picture, but each of the tasty little hand-helds above is about 3.5"x3.5".) I was infinitely pleased the the results: these babies were easy to whip up, totally portable, and delicious. Mine were not unhealthy, but they could be made a bit leaner if I were a masochist.

Wanna jump on this gravy train? I thought so. Here's what you do:

1) Purchase rolls, preferably fairly sturdy ones. I got ciabatta rolls from Trader Joe's.
2) Preheat the oven to 375.
3) Put together filling.
For mine, I sauteed peppers, onions, a little garlic, and some shredded carrots. Then I beat three eggs together with some milk, salt, and pepper. I also sliced some cheese, then set all this aside. Those watching their intake of fun could do just egg whites and no cheese. I guess.
4) Prepare the rolls by cutting a portion out of the top.
Since mine were square, I sliced most of the way down with a knife inside of each edge, then pulled out the section. I then went back into the cavity and pulled out a bit more bread around the edges and along the bottom to make room for the egg mixture, being careful to leave at least a centimeter of bread behind so that the egg wouldn't seep out.
5) Dump in the filling.
I spooned a layer of veggies into each roll, then poured on the egg mixture, and topped with the cheese.
6) Bake on a cookie sheet for about 20 minutes.
This step took longer than I anticipated - maybe because scrambled eggs cook in about 5 minutes - but it was easy to tell when they were done because the clear egg white turned opaque and started to brown slightly on top.
7) Store the ones you don't eat on the spot for later use.
I put them into a tupperware container and heated one for 15 seconds each morning this week.
8) Bask in your success.


I don't think I've ever posted a recipe, but these were too easy and awesome to keep to myself. Happy breakfasting!

1 comment:

  1. Yum!! :) I used to do with in muffin cups - such a fun breakfast :)

    ReplyDelete