Monday, February 27, 2012

Love is in the Air

Last Thursday, the following note appeared in the elevator of my office building:
Missed Connection - To: The Cute Girl drinking coffee who I rode the elevator with this morning. Call me if you want to get a coffee or lunch at your new found [sic] coffee place. Ill [sic] even buy you a bananna [sic].  :)
I did not actually see the note (more on that later), but my coworkers and I discussed it thoroughly and quizzed each other on whether we were drinking coffee that morning. Lindsay was, but as she was not holding a banana, we determined that she was probably not the cute girl in question. She was not too disappointed, as anyone who misspells "newfound," "I'll," and "banana" in the same sentence, not to mention decides that posting his phone number and name in the elevator of a 12-story building for all to see is a good idea, was probably not her Prince Charming.

When I got into the elevator at 5:00 to go home, I saw this note:
Re: Missed Connection - Please keep us updated. -Your curious neighbors.
I snapped a picture of it, but had still not seen the original. When my elevator reached the ground floor, I poked my head into the other elevator, whose doors were still open. The man in it looked at me rather quizzically. "Oh, sorry," I said. "I was just looking for that note, but I guess it's already gone."  The man grinned at me and asked excitedly, "Was that you?!" I replied that I had not been drinking coffee that morning, so it couldn't have been.

As I withdrew from the elevator, a woman in the lobby looked up from her phone at me. She commented on the situation, and I said that yes, it was pretty funny, but that I had not gotten to see the original note and was disappointed. "Oh, I have a picture of it!" she exclaimed, and handed me her phone so that I could enter my email address. Moments later, a blurry image of the note was waiting in my Inbox. For the rest of the week, people in the elevators talked of nothing else.

I am sorry to report that I have no updates on Drew and can't tell you whether or not his plot was successful. But you certainly can't blame a guy for trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment