Monday, October 31, 2011

Walking in a Spooky Wonderland

Shortly after this, the snow began to stick.
Apparently the weather took a cue from the Christmas merchandise that has been appearing in stores already and sent us some serious snow this weekend, for which few people, yours truly included, were prepared. I am happy to say that things have warmed up since and are supposed to be very pleasant this week, but Saturday was absolutely awful.  I had a pleasant day holed up my my cozy apartment with tea, but I very much regretted my costume choice when it was time to get dressed and head out for the evenings festivities. Not that I had a whole lot of choice: When your boyfriend brings you back an authentic belly dancer's costume from Turkey, you can't say no, even if you want to (which I didn't - it was spangly and glamorous). So I dressed in a skimpy, jingly skirt and top, then wrapped myself in scarves, a hat, and my warmest coat, tugged on boots and gloves, and stepped out into the blizzard.

Happily, Ed and I had decided to celebrate Halloween with Ed's friend Brad, who lives in a very fun neighborhood replete with lots of bars. Very little traipsing around would be required. I picked up Ed at his apartment, walked with him to Brad's, then spent 20 minutes warming up there before venturing outside and down the block. We hopped from place to place for a while, then set up shop in what turned out to be a very fun lesbian bar. Ed was dressed as Doc Brown from the Back to the Future movies. He had a stopwatch and a wild wig (which was actually supposed to go with a Marilyn Monroe costume) and had drawn radiation symbols on a painter's coverall and the backs of two rubber dishwashing gloves. Brad dressed as Marty McFly, also from the movies, though he missed the mark somewhat because he refused to shave. At this particular bar, my costume was the most popular of the three.



It turned out to be a mellow, very fun evening. I was chilly as we went from place to place, but generally ok once we were inside, though I think I'd have been in trouble without the flesh-colored stretch pants I picked up on a whim the day before. Next year, however, I am considering saving all costuming decisions for the morning of Halloween so that I can plan appropriately for the weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment