Monday, December 21, 2009

Servons

Recently, I joined some Cate alums at a nearby Barnes and Noble to do some community service work. We worked for four hours in two shifts, wrapping gifts for donations. All proceeds went to Dorot, an organization that provides services for the elderly in the NYC area. I worked with Patrick and Emily, both from Taiwan, who graduated a year before I got to Cate. I never got to meet them in California, but they're a lot of fun and I'm glad to know them now. Patrick, as it turns out, is also the instructor of a yoga class I plan to take next semester. Here's a picture of the crew brandishing various wrapping tools:


Wrapping was fun, but the best part was taking advantage of the 40% discount Barnes and Noble extended to us afterwards. I bought six novels and a guidebook, none of which I really needed, but someone's got to support the flailing publishing industry, right? I felt it was my civic duty.

By the way, "Servons" is Cate's school motto. It is French for "to serve."

No comments:

Post a Comment