Sunday, August 30, 2009

My New Digs



Coming up on my fifth night in New York, I'm settled in enough to take pictures of my room, new surroundings, etc. My building is the one next to the striped one. It's a dorm for Teachers College students only, and my room came as a pleasant surprise - much bigger than I thought it would be with a lot of storage space. I've got a bathroom attached, but alas no kitchen. The building has VERY tight security. There are a few study lounges and communal kitchens scattered throughout (I'm actually just about across the hall from a kitchen, which will be great as long as no one burns anything), and a laundry room in the basement. Dave, Anthony, and Jane were immeasurably helpful in getting me all moved in.

Columbia's campus is on the upper west side of Manhattan, in a neighborhood in Harlem called Morningside Heights. It feels like a safe area (I came home at 2 A.M. alone the other day to test this theory and was not mugged even once) and has a lot of restaurants and shops. Today I discovered a farmers' market that comes along every Sunday. Anthony, Jane, Lucy and I had brunch at a place that does half-priced bottles of wine on Mondays and a five course Italian dinner on Sunday nights for $19. I must remember this.

I am:
-5 blocks from the nearest subway stop (it takes about five minutes to walk there)
-15 blocks from Central Park
-8 blocks from the restaurant in Seinfeld
-2 blocks from Morningside Park
-2 blocks from the Hudson River
-8 blocks from the Cathedral of St. John the Divine, which claims to be the world's largest














I have yet to meet anyone affiliated with Teachers College, but our orientation is on Tuesday. In the meantime, I've been hanging around with other people I know in the city. I've woken up each morning with sore calves from walking so much! It's nice not to have a car though. I'm looking forward to starting classes on Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment